Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Start of a Journey

I have come to the realization that we often conform to society's manufactured roles for us without question and accept anything we are told without hesitation. We do not realize some of the foolishness that we condone: patriarchy, racism, the education system, sexism, government fallacies, elitism, etc., etc. As a former faithful (and I do mean faithful) devoter to television, it took a while before I came to this Truth as it is one of the main tools used to brainwash, divert, and deceive us.

I began to seriously question each of these ideas during the senior year of my undergraduate studies. I had an assignment in which I had to complete a paper for my Logic course. The professor told the class that the area of philosophy was constantly criticized because it was basically "memorizing the ideas of dead, white men," which I suppose is true to some extent. So, the professor wanted each of us to write a paper on a philosopher/intellectual of our choice who was living, non-white, and preferably not male. That is how I came across feminist thinker bell hooks and little did I know that she would be the beginning of my separation with societal conformities.

After writing about bell hooks, I could not help but read at least one of her books. I found her book, Ain't I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism, in my university's library and it was like seeing the world for the first time. Although I had been conditioned to believe some things as being "right," it did not make them necessarily True. The more books I read from hooks, the more I began seeing the lies. Then I joined Twitter and began amassing a Twit Fam of folks who were also on the path of seeking Truth and they opened my eyes to even more knowledge (upon my own research, of course).

I wanted a place to share ideas (that gave me more room than 140 or 500 characters at a time), so I decided to start a blog with my soul-sistah where we could discuss the aforementioned topics. Each of us will provide our perspective on a certain issue, which may usually come from an African-American female's perspective because that is our experience...at least in this level of reality.

We hope that you will join us on this journey because the only way to learn is from the dissemination of ideas (in a mature and constructive manner). And anything that is discussed on here is a mere grain of sand in the vast ocean of what is the universe...but I like to start from the bottom and work my way to the top or from the simplicity of the outter to the complexities of the inner (I suppose it is the Capricorn in me). This is just the beginning.

Peace, Love & Light


Sofoni Michel

0 comments:

Post a Comment